I want to make every Hoosier city and town a place where you can have success without moving away if you don’t want to. I believe that every Hoosier wants essentially the same things: for their family to be happy, to be healthy, to be safe, and to be nearby.
Commitment to our schools
We are lucky to have so many great public schools in Indiana. It is in the interest of all Hoosiers that we maintain quality public education for all children. Having high quality, equitable public schools is essential not only for the future of our children, but also to protecting our property values. Many people make decisions about where they want to live based upon whether the area has a high quality public school. If the public schools are not supported, your investment in your home is not protected.
My goals are to:
- Prioritize our public schools and ensure that there is adequate funding
- Ensure the schools have the resources they need to maintain a safe learning environment for our children
- Improve teacher pay and benefits
- Separate voucher school funding from community-based school funding so that tax payers are fully aware of the allocation of resources
- Hold charter, virtual and private voucher schools to the same transparency and financial reporting requirements as public schools
- Provide a strong system of public higher education with access for the children of working families and decent pay for college and university employees.
- Stop over-testing students and empower teachers to educate based on their expertise and the students’ needs
Commitment to equality and our economy
Hoosier hospitality means hospitality to all – visitors, residents, and potential residents. Indiana has one of the largest gender pay gaps in the nation with women earning approximately 70% of what their male counterparts earn despite having similar education, skills and experience. Indiana is also one of only five states without a Hate Crime Bill. Holding out on common sense legislation diminishes Indiana’s opportunities for growth.
My goals are to:
- Attract better paying jobs by focusing on the recruitment, attraction and retention of Hoosier talent.
- Enhance the ability of Indiana businesses to compete in a global economy by increasing our state’s reputation for hospitality, diversity and freedom from discrimination by passing common sense legislation like the Hate Crime bill and closing the gender pay gap
- Insist on equal pay for work of comparable value
- Develop training programs that address regional job demands
- Support investments to rebuild our infrastructure, including roads, bridges, mass transit and water and sewer systems
- Ensure Hoosiers earn a fair minimum wage
Commitment to our environment
Indiana should promote clean energy industries to protect our environment and preserves our resources. This would also create jobs and position us for future growth opportunities.
My goals are to:
- Invest and expand in renewable energy and energy efficiency such as solar and wind
- Protect Indiana’s water resources
- Implement state-level climate solutions such as reducing carbon emissions
- Preserve our forests
Expand Indiana’s open spaces and protect our existing ecosystems
Commitment to commonsense gun laws
Gun ownership has become a polarizing issue, but there are areas in which we can agree. Responsible gun owners agree that our Second Amendment rights also come with responsibilities. We have the responsibility to keep our children safe, and keep guns out of the hands of those who could be a danger to themselves or others. Safe storage, universal background checks, and gun education are all ways in which we can preserve the rights of responsible gun owners while still keeping Hoosiers safe.